TikTok Viral Video Concern
The school is aware of a real and particularly nasty viral post going round on TikTok. The company are dealing with the situation and it should be cleared within the next few days. You may want to keep a close eye on your child's use of this app over this period if this is something that they have access to on a device.
If you are worried about content online or something your child has watched the advice we would give is to:
- Remain calm and non-judgemental.
- Talk to your child about what to do if they see something which upsets them and who they would talk to.
- Be curious - where have they seen this content? Can that channel/account be blocked? You can block most content and there are 'how to' guides on our website or we can help if you need support.
- Don't treat 'online' differently to real life, to children online is real life. In the same way that we would talk about their day at school, their friends etc. we should have regular discussions about what they are doing online and what to do if something is concerning or upsetting.
- There are places to get support if your child has been affected, such as Childline and Papyrus.
If you have specific concerns about your child's use of social media or online activity, please contact your child's head of year or our student management team at the school to discuss what support we might be able to offer or for further strategies to address this in a positive way.
Assistant Headteacher and Designated Safeguarding Lead
TikTok parent/carer guide - internet safety